Sunday, November 20, 2011

RENEWING MY PURPOSE

It was better late than never when I arrived to visit yesterday which was the last day of perhaps the last GK Builders Camp for this year at the GK Mananga Site. It was overwhelming to see that there were around 41 participants at the camp. I reckon it was the biggest number for this year. Majority came from one of the partner schools in Cebu (Cebu Institute of Technology University or CITU. It has been a long time for me that I have last visited this site as well. Although, I got quite lazy to visit the houses that I knew, I just said hi or smile at the homeowners and kids who would pass through the multipurpose hall. Seeing the kids whom I had a very short teaching stint in this village, I would ask them if they were still in school. So far, they said they were. I don't blame them if some don't remember me anymore after all, it was just a short stint as I've said.  Anyway, the program went okay as usual. When the last session ended, there were fillers while waiting for lunch to be served and so I would find myself going to the favorite place in the site where the kids and even the homeowners, youth and their friends would hang out and do nothing or simply just stare at the houses with cornfields or down below the river or even at the skies. I noticed that some kids went down to the riverbank and just playing with the stones or one could just climb up a tree and get some fruit or whatever they want to get on it. Then, I saw that they got a makeshift ladder so that these kids could climb up and down the wall from the village to the river. I got preoccupied asking a kid to stop teasing another girl as if she is about to fall from the wall. Good thing, the other children outnumbered the big kid so he would stop doing it or whatever happens to the other child, he would have to pay for the consequences. While watching them, I couldn't help but think of how simple their lives were and reminiscing the days that I've served full time and what I have contributed and how I can help more now that I have stepped onto the corporate world. Then, it hit me that one of the reasons that I have gone to work outside of the organization was to give more. However, I am aware that because of my schedule, I cannot serve that much anymore or even give more which sometimes I feel defeated my purpose on why I am not working full time any more for Gawad Kalinga. 

Since last year, I believe God is leading me to a new career path in which my passion can become a career too. In the same way, I hope that I could have more financial and time freedom so that I can do what I want especially serving more and more and giving more and more. In the same way, I feel I wanted to spend more time with my mother and perhaps visit my brother and his family more often too and other members in the family as well. 

Although now, that passion has not become a career yet since I am still in another career that I have opted, the commitment to get that goal has been renewed as I write this article and I really need to constantly visit GK villages again to remind me of my purpose and importance of my career efforts.


Cheers! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment