Sunday, October 17, 2010

OJT Chronicles: Day 1

October 6, 2010: Excited to start my first day in Alpa City Suites Hotel ( the hotel where I signed an On the Job Training). My day started assisting for another batch of Housekeeping NC II Assessment with an assessor that lasted for almost 5 hours. After that, I went to the hotel so that I could log-in early. I was issued two new shirts  as uniforms with the hotel logo and we have to secure for ourselves the black slacks and black shoes. Lo and behold, my mom forgot to bring my requirements which I was supposed to submit to the Human Resource Head! Anyway, she explained that it was her fault and was allowed to start officially.
My first task was to help segregate the linens. I was introduced on how to measure by hand single, double and king sized bed sheets and duvet covers: Two meters for singles, two and a half for doubles and Three meters for king-sized linens. I also helped segregating the towels as per who's going to pick up what. For me, the most fun part was counting! No, I'm not good in Math, I just love it. As the daughter of an Executive housekeeper, I couldn't afford my mom to be put to shame because of me so, I make it a point that I don't slack at work. Good thing is, she also makes sure that I have something to do. When we were done counting and segregating the linens,  a few minutes (2-3 minutes) would do to stretch out your body (I am starting to feel some muscle pain already). The next task was to accompany a room attendant for rooms check. For a VC (Vacant Clean/Arrival) room, we have to check if the air conditioner  was set on standard thermostat, if the vault is on its default pin, towels on the right places (e.g.  folded bath mat should be placed on top of toilet bowl cover) , draperies opened (both shower and window curtains except for the sheer window curtain),complete amenities such as complimentary bottled water, mini bar (depending on the instructions), bathroom supplies, standard channel and volume (CNN and volume 20),etc. As for the Turn Down Service Rooms (these are rooms that were cleaned by 5:30pm and beyond),curtains should be closed and the duvet will be folded in triangular form, bath mat is spread facing the shower curtain, etc. We almost lost track of the time 'coz we did not notice that it's almost time for supper. After eating dinner, a guest requested for hot water  and was asked to bring to the guest's room. The guest immediately handed me a twenty (20) peso bill after I gave the thermos of hot water. Well, not really bad for a first day. I was then assigned at the lobby to partner with another OJT assigned there. We were based near the employee's entrance but the area we are covering is the public area. So much learned for the first day and was actually looking forward for Day 2! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment