Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back to Service for the Nth Time!

After several attempts to join some GK activities, I finally managed to attend two the past week! The task was to help the volunteer visitors get profiles from the GK Homeowners in the Gawad Kalinga Amazing Village in Tak-an, Budlaan, Cebu City with regard to health. Cebuano volunteers are needed to speak to the homeowners in Cebuano/Visayan dialect and write or translate it in English.

The name of the group is SEALNet group which stands for Southeast Asian Leadership Network.  A group of volunteers from different Universities  like Cambridge University, UCLA, Stanford and others collaborate to implement projects for Southeast Asian countries. For their current project here in the Philippines, they have chosen Cebu particularly Gawad Kalinga Cebu to be the beneficiary of this project which is to grow awareness on hypertension and other chronic diseases. So, they need to profile a part or if possible the entire community to know how far they are aware of the chronic diseases and draft a campaign out of the results from the interview of the families. 

I get to meet them last Tuesday which as they  introduce themselves with the community and probably get a "feel" with the place. I was excited as well because it has been maybe a year since my last visit to the site.   I met again the kids I've served before as well as meet new little angels from the Sibol school. Yesterday was the exciting part because it was interview time! I was assigned alone and so were others who they thought could manage without a Sealnet member so that volunteers could interview more families. For the group discussion, together with some Sealnet members as well as Cebu volunteers and two home owners, we  managed to finish the whole community profile. Yehey! The best part is yet to come since they will be conducting a Medical Mission Fair next week.

I hope I would get to serve again in GK. It is one of my reasons why I am aiming to succeed so I can help more and serve more! :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment